Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Getting back to basics

I just wrote a very long post entailing me getting up on my soapbox and basically reprimanding people for how they spend their money. Then I deleted the whole thing. Who am I to judge anyone in how they decide to spend their hard earned money? We just bought a Wii for crying out loud. Granted, we got it used, and for quite cheap, but that's beyond the point. There are lot of people who spend their money on the latest technology, and new cars, and huge houses, and decorations to fill those houses, BUT, it's their choice. It's none of my business what people buy. I do consider it my business to help out people who ask for help financially. I'm no accountant; I do our own taxes, and that's about it. My husband pays most of the bills. I should have a bigger part in that though, I'll admit. He earns the majority of the money for our family, and I spend the majority of it. Although I've been couponing for a few months now, I need to work harder at SAVING our family money, rather than spending it. I don't always have to stock up on crackers just because they're on sale. I don't have to use my Costco coupons just because I think they're a great deal.

That's why I'm going back to basics. I have a rather large food storage, and honestly, when we move, I do not want to move my food storage. I did that the last time we moved, and it was not fun. I want to cook more from the items that I already have in my food storage, rather than going to the grocery store whenever I need some obscure item. This month, I really just want to cook with the basic items that I already have available here at home. Every time I need just one ingredient, I go to Walmart or Smiths and find so many "great deals" that I come home having spent $30 rather than just $3. It's ridiculous, and it adds up. We don't NEED all that STUFF. Crackers are great, my kids love them, but really, do they need them? I don't think so. Ice-cream may be just a couple dollars, but my waistline definitely does not need it. This month I just want to spend money on the basic necessities: milk, fruit, vegetables, and the occasional meat, but I'm pretty sure I've got a bunch in the freezer I can use. I need to clean out the fridge and use up those leftovers, clean out the freezer, and use up some of those "stockpiling" items in my food storage that I have plenty of, that might be expiring in the next few months.

I want to be better. This isn't some silly new years resolution that I'm bound to not accomplish. Times are hard, the economy is bad, and I need to be prepared for whatever is going to come my way. If a terrible disaster were to hit, would I really know how to cook with the dried beans and dehydrated onions and stuff that's in my food storage? Would I know how to cook it on my makeshift stove, since I wouldn't have electricity for the real stove in the kitchen? These are skills that I need to develop. I want to be better prepared.

I encourage everyone who reads this blog, whoever you may be, to please get back to basics. Determine when you want to buy something whether it's a need or a want. Try to save money and get prepared for those days (that will for sure come some day) when you might need those skills and that "rainy day fund". I think you'll find that when you get back to basics you'll develops talents that make you proud of yourself, you'll save money, and you'll be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment