Thursday, February 11, 2010

Getting things for FREE with coupons!

I told my husband last night after shopping at Target and Walmart, "I can't believe I used to pay for this stuff when this whole time I could have been getting them for free!" I put everything on the couch that I either got for free, or for under 25 cents, and there was probably about 20 items. My husband thinks I'm a nerd for getting so excited about couponing, but I LOVE getting good deals!

I'm going to break down what I got really good deals on last night, and how you can do it too. As a side note, I religiously follow www.utahdealdiva.com and check it a few times a day. She always is one of the first people to let you know when there is a new online coupon out that you need to print fast before they are all gone. I get the majority of my coupons this way, and they really pay off.


WALMART

1 half gallon chocolate milk, $3.00- for free after coupon (buy 2 gallons of milk, get 1 half gallon chocolate milk free) I got this coupon after Utah Deal Diva posted it. On a side note, milk was $1.66, which was the best price I've found it at this week.

Reynolds Aluminum Foil (30 yards), $1.52- 27 cents after a coupon I got in the newspaper.

8 packages of Kotex liners (16 count), would have been $8, but I got them all for $1!!! This is my favorite deal so far. I can't believe I've paid so much for these over the years. Here's the secret. In the newspaper, and often online, there will be Kotex coupons for $2.00 off two packages, or $1.50 off two packages. If you get the 16 count packages at Walmart (they're pretty small and often on the bottom shelf so look closely) you can either get them for free, or for 50 cents for two packages. It's really an amazing deal. The coupons don't indicate what size packages you have to buy, so the coupons usually work just fine. Sometimes they'll beep at checkout, but the cashiers always just input them for me.

6 bags of Chex Mix, would have been over $9, but I got them all for $1! I price matched to the completely awesome price at Harmon's this week where you can get 6 for $3 (with their in-store coupon, but Walmart doesn't care about the coupon; I didn't even have to show them the ad, they just took my word for it) and then I used four 50 cents off coupons that I got on www.coupons.com and also in the newspaper. Normally I'm lucky to get a bag at Smiths for $1, so I was super excited about this deal! I wish I had more Chex Mix coupons!


TARGET

2 (3 packs) of Orbit gum, would have been $4, but I paid just over $1 after two online coupons from www.coupons.com and a 50 cents off coupon I was mailed from Target. They mail me booklets every now and then, and sadly this is the only way I get Target coupons now. Target changed how you can get their coupons online, and it's now only through their website, and for some crazy reason, I just cannot get them to print off my computer. It's very frustrating, but at least I still get some mailed to me. Those came in handy last night. I used some on diapers, medicine, candy, granola bars, batteries, and conditioner. The trick is to try to always use one manufacturer coupon and one Target coupon for every item that you buy.

Wonka gummy candy, would have been $1.59, but I got them for 9 cents after a $1 coupon I believe from www.coupons.com and a 50 cent Target coupon. My hubby likes these, and for 9 cents, why not?

6 boxes of Sunbelt granola bars (I love these!) would have been $12.24, but I paid $5.62 after 3 buy 1 get 1 free coupons (from Utah deal diva I think) and a 50 cent off Target coupon. That's less than $1 a box, for something we all love. I love finding coupons for things that normally don't ever have coupons.

1 Suave conditioner, would have been 97 cents, but I got it for 22 cents after a 75 cent off Target coupon. The nice thing about this last Target coupon booklet that I got was that the coupons said they were good for any brand name, which is awesome because then you can use it to your advantage, and combine it with other manufacturer coupons or just use it for whichever brand is cheapest, hence the Suave.


So hopefully this gives you an idea of how to use coupons to your advantage to get things for free, or for really cheap. I saved about $50 last night, which makes me happy. That in itself pays for a very nice Valentine's dinner plus extra. :)

1 comment: