Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sharing your coupon wealth

I just got back from 4 hours of grocery shopping. I went to Smiths and Walmart, and saved over $115 at both stores! I got several items for free by using coupons, one in particular I wanted to do a post about. A couple months ago there was a coupon for buy 2 Secret deoderants, and get one free. I used it a couple weeks later when I found a good sale on my favorite deoderant, Secret Clinical Protection. Now I'm not a huge Name Brand brat, but there are a couple things that I always have to get a specific brand name of. One of these includes my deoderant. Secret Clinical Protection seems to work the best for me. And while there are the crazy coupon ladies who load up on free Speedstick, I'm not going to get something I know I won't use, even though the deoderant I prefer is super expensive...it's like $7.99 at most stores. Anyway, so I stocked up and bought 3 Secret clinical protections a few weeks ago for super cheap, and tonight I was going to use a couple $2 off coupons on the same brand. While I was checking out the price and figuring if it was worth it to use the coupons, I noticed a beautiful Buy 2, get 1 free coupon placed with the other Secret deoderants. This is the same coupon I used a few weeks ago, that I wished I had had more of. Absolutely amazing! I was so so blessed. That little coupon right there was worth a whopping $7.57 at Walmart tonight!

This very lengthy paragraph now leads me to my point. If you're not going to use a certain coupon before it expires, please leave it by the product for someone else to use. It can really make someone's day, and help them out financially. I handed out coupons to a couple people in Walmart tonight, and left several other coupons by their product. It was after all this that I found that lovely coupon someone else had left. Kindness really does pay off! I was so suprised, and it really did make my night. Such a simple gesture by someone really saved me a lot of money! I bought 3 Secret Clinical Protection deoderants, which would have cost me $22.71 without coupons, and after the Buy 2 get 1 free, and 3 other coupons that I had, I ended up paying under $10 for the 3 of them, which is an AMAZING deal for that brand name. Can you tell I'm still excited about it? (Yes I know I'm a dork for getting excited about a deoderant deal...)

So all of you coupon shoppers out there, please think twice about throwing away your coupons if they're about to expire. Pass them on to others if you are able to. Such a small gesture really goes a long way.



On a side note, I also wanted to write about how a positive and cheery attitude goes a long way with the cashier that is ringing up your huge stack of coupons. I always look through all the cashiers to see who might be the nicest and put up with all my coupons, before I pick a checkout line. Tonight at Walmart I spotted a guy that looked like he'd be patient with my coupons, and knowing how much trouble he'd be going through with my huge stack, I decided to put on my best attitude and just chat with him. He seemed to have a couple rough orders from people in front of me, so I hoped I could cheer him up a bit. First I asked him how his day was, then I mentioned how excited I was that I found my little girl an awesome scooter for her birthday for $14. We chatted for a minute about that, then I asked him how his Christmas was, etc. etc. He seemed to perk up, and was really quite nice. He was super helpful with all of my coupons that beeped, and all my coupons for free items. I think my attitude really helped the situation.

It was super busy, and there were lots of people behind me. I made sure while I was waiting in line to warn people that came up behind me that I had a lot of coupons. (I always do this, and most of the time I get a nice reaction from them. They'll thank me and move to a different line, or they'll just comment about how great it is that I save so much money.) I also chatted with the people behind me while I was being checked out, and they were really nice about all my coupons. I think the majority of people wish they could use coupons, they just don't know where to start, and don't know if they have the time to do it. Obviously 4 hours today was a long time to shop, but if you think about it though, if couponing were a job, I would have made $29 an hour tonight. That's pretty good I think. Couponing really is worth it. All of the time and effort put into it really does pay off. If anyone out there wants some tips on how to get started, or how to improve what you're already doing, I am more than willing to help you out. Just let me know; I'm here for you.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment